Better Business Bureau Serving the Pacific Southwest (BBB) has proudly awarded five scholarships to high school students in Greater Arizona for their winning essays on “The Importance of Character and Ethics.” Held annually, the contest encourages students to write an essay about doing the right thing when they are faced with an ethical dilemma. This year’s scholarship program was sponsored by Swiss America and Valley of the Sun-Camelback Kiwanis Club.
2021 Ethical Torch Essay Scholarship Winners:
- First Place of $1,500: Dylan Caton from Lake Havasu High School
- Second Place of $1,250: Sonya Colattur from Xavier College Preparatory
- Third Place of $1,000: Ella Hamer from BASIS Scottsdale
- Fourth Place of $750: Joan Isabelle Walton from Xavier College Preparatory
- Fifth Place of $500: Landen Patrick Knutson from Heritage Academy Gateway
First place winner Dylan Caton shared how integrity is more than a one-time action; it’s a way of living.
“People will always make mistakes, but owning up to your wrongdoing is what counts. It is never easy to give up a piece of dignity, but making that decision is the most valuable step in leading a life with strong moral principles,” said Caton.
Gary Sneed, Desert Financial Credit Union Sr. V.P. and Chief Lending Officer, acknowledged that educational expenses continue to rise for students; so they surprised each of the five winners with an additional $1,000 scholarship to help them soar.
To learn more about the Ethical Torch Essay Scholarship program, and to read the winning essays, visit scholarships.bbbcommunity.org. Applications for next year’s scholarship will open on January 1, 2022.
Reprinted by permission of the Better Business Bureau, © 2021.