Avoid A Spooktacular Shopping Trick This Halloween
(Mohave, AZ – October 18, 2017) With only a few weeks to Halloween, stores and websites offering costumes, decorations and more seem to be popping up overnight. Better Business Bureau (BBB) advises shoppers to do some research before making a purchase online or in-store.
According to the National Retail Federation, Halloween spending is expected to reach a record $9.1 billion this year, up 8.3 percent from last year’s record of $8.4 million.
Scammers will try to cash in on this trend and to help avoid chilling cons, BBB is offering five tips:
- Research the company: Check out the business at org to view its Business Profile and read what consumers have shared about their experience.
- Double check the site’s security: Only provide credit card information on secure sites. Look for the prefix “https://” in the URL box listing the website’s address to be ensure the site is secure.
- Ask questions at seasonal stores: If buying from a seasonal store, ask if it will be open after Halloween and if returns will be accepted. If not, consider taking more time to be sure the item is exactly what you want before making the purchase.
- Consider the pros and cons of renting vs. buying: Renting a costume that will be worn only once might be a good alternative to buying. While renting may be a smart way to get a great costume at a good price, keep in mind the item is used. Pay close attention to the condition of the costume before checking out to ensure you are not responsible for previous damage.
- Understand the return policy: Know the store’s refund and return policies before buying. For online orders, federal law requires goods and services be delivered within 30 days, unless a different delivery period is specifically stated by the merchant.
For more information you can trust, visit BBB.org.
For more information, or to schedule an interview with a BBB spokesperson, please contact Debi Pennington at 928-302-3701 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
About Better Business Bureau Serving Central, Northern & Western Arizona
BBB is an unbiased organization that sets and upholds high standards for fair and honest business behavior. In 2014, people turned to BBB more than 165 million times for BBB Business Reviews® on more than 4.7 million businesses and 11,000 charities, all available free at bbb.org. Incorporated locally in 1938, BBB serving Central, Northern and Western Arizona is supported by over 11,400 BBB Accredited Businesses. Businesses that earn BBB Accreditation contractually agree and adhere to the organization’s high standards of ethical business behavior. BBB provides objective advice, free business reviews and charity reports, and educational information on topics affecting marketplace trust.
If you would rather not receive future communications from Better Business Bureau, let us know by clicking here.
Better Business Bureau, 4428 N. 12th Street, Phoenix, AZ 85014 United States